Pros and cons of London mews property
Located in quiet, cobbled streets, painted in soft pastel colours and adorned with colourful hanging baskets … It’s no wonder that we love London mews properties, but is that love simply skin deep?
Here at Lurot Brand we’ve decided it’s time to take a look at the pros and cons of mews living. Naturally we believe there are few disadvantages, so let’s get those out of the way first:
1. A mews house is not a palace. These properties were originally built for servants, so they don’t share the airy rooms and large windows you’ll find in the grand houses they once served. However, the simple proportions of a mews house can create a blank canvas for an architect to make the most of the interior space.
2. If you prefer to live in splendid isolation, a mews house may not be for you. Many mews streets have a great community spirit, but that doesn’t mean your neighbours will be popping round at all hours. It’s more likely that they will simply be keeping an eye on what’s happening in the street, to everyone’s benefit.
3. The outside of your property may be subject to statutory controls. Because mews streets are often found in conservation areas, any changes you want to make to the front of the property may be limited by local authority rules.
So what are the advantages of living in a mews? As you’d expect, our list is far too long to include here, so here are a few highlights:
1. Location, location and – oh yes: location. You’ll be amazed to find that these unique properties, situated in tranquil enclaves, are often just a few minutes’ walk from some of the capital’s best loved shopping streets, attractions and parks.
2. Most mews houses are offered for sale as freehold properties. That means you can own a central London property in perpetuity without paying ground rent, service charges or having to apply to the landlord to make changes.
3. They’re great for life/work balance. Mews houses were originally designed for people who lived and worked in the same place. They are well located, easy to maintain, close to excellent transport links and work equally well as a family home or a pied-a-terre.
At Lurot Brand we’re passionate about mews properties, but admit that mews living may not work for everyone. However, if you’re looking for a London property that ticks all the boxes in terms of location, cost and convenience, mews houses are hard to beat. If you’re still unsure, contact us today to view a range of stunning mews homes for sale in some of the capital’s most desirable locations.