Woods Mews, Mayfair, Westminster, London, W1K
Wood’s Mews was doubtless named after Jonathan Wood, victualler, who was the first occupant of the Swan tavern in Park Street at the north corner of the mews. The south side of the mews was occupied by the stables and coachhouses of houses in Upper Brook Street, but most of the frontage on the north side was taken up with the extensive complex of stabling which was built by Roger Morris for the Second Troop of Horse Guards and later converted into a rhedarium. Some of the stabling on this side was rebuilt during the nineteenth century and the remainder was demolished in 1913–14 for the creation of the Green Street garden, the southern boundary wall of which extends part way along the north side of the mews.
BOROUGH: City of Westminster.