Hippodrome Mews, Holland Park, London, W11
Hippodrome Mews is a modern private mews ideally situated in Notting Hill close to Clarendon Cross and Avondale Park.
The mews no doubt takes its name from the Victorian race course – The Kensington Hippodrome (opened 1837). The racecourse for a time was a great success and a very fashionable point of interest for the area which competed well against the courses outside of London like Epsom and Ascot. However, having been built on Ladbroke Lands the course was adjacent to the Potteries – one of the worst slums in London at the time. Disputes over footpaths and rights of way lead to the eventual closing of the course in 1842.
The Hippodrome Race Course is now only remembered by both Hippodrome Mews and Place off Portland Road W11 which was the original site of the horse stables. The former mews however, was rebuilt on and is now a private cul-de-sac.
BOROUGH: Kensington and Chelsea.