Frederick Close, Connaught Village, Bayswater, W2
Frederick Close, so called after the wealthy Frederick family who acquired the manor in Paddington in 1741, changed from the original name of Frederick Mews in 1934. By today’s standards this is very much classed as a mews – enhanced by the stately trees in the private garden at its end. Frederick Mews appears in the Post Office Directory as early as 1856 with No 1 being occupied by a livery stable and No 6 by a gas fitter.
Frederick Close is located to the north west of Marble Arch in an area historically known as Tyburnia. It is an affluent area benefiting from large garden squares, such as Connaught Square, which lies immediately to the north of Frederick Close. To the north is Connaught Village, an exclusive enclave of designer boutiques, art galleries and restaurants.
BOROUGH: City of Westminster.